I recently found out my utiliguard has a mode where you just set the
transmitter on the ground above a suspected line, the more inline the
better and whether its inductance or what, it puts the signal onto the
buries conductor and the wand can locate it...sometimes
It has its limits because theres no discretion. I went out to locate a line
that somebody cut once and my inductor clamp wasnt seated so it reverted to
this mode. I ended up locating out a nearby power line instead of the
target dead line