I am impressed at the advancements with wireless over the years. I would have never expected to be able to deliver PMP 100 Mbps with any quality at all. And we all know that 100 mbps will do almost everything anyone would ever need, still we have fiber customers wanting 1. 2.5 and 10 gig...

And to think that we used to be so happy to advertise 10 Mbps on Canopy. That burst mode was the bomb until Netflix arrived.

-----Original Message----- From: dmmoff...@gmail.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 8, 2023 7:37 AM
To: 'AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group'
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Shadenfreude

Almost sounds like you're not serious.  Fiber really is the future.

How much wireless bandwidth is there to work with? If we kicked out all incumbent microwave users and made it all available for WISPs there'd be what, 50 GHz? More realistically 5-10GHz that you could really use for the last mile....assuming they'd allocate all of it for a WISP. Within the reality of the regulatory framework we've got more like 1-2GHz available.

Bandwidth of a single mode fiber is ~50 Thz. Even the most optimistic estimate for wireless doesn't compare.

100Gbps ethernet on fiber uses only a tiny fraction of the possible bandwidth and very primitive modulation. It's not because you couldn't do 1024QAM with a laser, it's just that right now we don't need to. Theoretically pushing Shannon-Hartley to the limits you could run 1.2 petabits per second on a single mode fiber. That's a million gigabits.

Clearly there are badly implemented networks, but that just means a dumb person did it. If you're not branching out into fiber you'll eventually be left behind. IMO, the only debatable part is how many years that'll take.

-Adam