....(continued)

Or maybe there's a pully at each end of the row and a loop of steel cable
drags the machine back and forth.  DC- comes through the steel cable and
DC+/ground is the aluminum frame of the solar panel.  Or switch polarity
around if there's a reason to, I'm assuming a positive ground because the
panel mounting hardware must touch the earth.  It only needs enough power to
spin the brushes because the cable system pulls it along.  Maybe the cable
is just a cable and you have a separate power rail.

Maybe the brushes don't even need to spin.  Just have the cable system drag
a broom across the row.  Sweep it back and forth several times if one pass
isn't enough.  Mount the broom at an angle with the top end leading and then
dust will tend to fall off the bottom of the panel rather than dragging all
the way to the end.

OR have an air hose across the top of the panel with wide angle nozzles
along the way facing towards the panel.  Have a DC compressor suck a little
power off the solar system to fill its tank.  A couple times a day a
solenoid valve on a timer opens up and the panels get blasted with air.
That stops the brush dragging any sand that might scour up the glass.
Compressed air might work for snow too.

Building a robot is probably fun and all, but I just feel like there are a
bunch of simple ways to do dust off the panels.  IMO, for something that has
to be maintained over time simple is usually best.  And how much did they
spend developing a robot vs what they would spend on some air hose and a
solenoid valve?  Could the robot actually be better enough to justify
whatever it costs?

-Adam