Modbus is an ancient serial protocol to pass values back and forth.   It’s very
open but also somewhat vendor specific.   You can send any message you like
from A <->B but the two devices have to know what the specific message means.
Various industries have defined the message content but I would be somewhat
surprised if a Vertiv rectifier knows what to do with the information from a
meter.

Tons of information online, and it’s not a hard protocol to code for.   Used to
do it in BASIC years ago.     There are two protocols - MODBUS and MODBUS RTU.
 The RTU protocol is much more difficult to work with due to timing
requirements, MODBUS itself is just standard serial at a baud rate and timing
of responses is not critical at all.

Mark