From: AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> On Behalf Of Ken Hohhof
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2024 1:45 PM
To: 'AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group' <af@af.afmug.com>
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] MoviePass documentary

The old saying is "lose money on every sale but make it up on volume".  The
new equivalent is "fake it 'til you make it".  Amazon is the classic example
of one that worked out.  Many have a non obvious revenue model that involve
selling ads or customer data, that's how TV manufacturers can sell TVs at
cost.

But investors seem to be losing patience with business plans that just burn
piles of cash with no plan to ever become profitable.  This seems to have
hit streaming companies, which everyone assumes are all profitable, but
actually most are not.

MoviePass seems to have been doomed, as was WeWork.  There was Theranos.
Seems like there is a blurred line between "fake it 'til you make it" and
outright scams and pyramid schemes.  All of us can attest that you need to
ramp up to a certain number of customers to achieve economies of scale, but
it should be possible to show some math how that leads to eventual
profitability.  Otherwise you're like the underpants gnomes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5ih_TQWqCA