I'm not Bill, but I do have some recommendations based on my semi-frequent
visits...

First of all, don't forget to find a good,  authentic mission style burrito
somewhere along the way. If I find a specific place next weekend when I'm
down there,  I'll let you know.

Santa Cruz is where I always think when I think about Northern California
Beach with amusement park.

There's an old time coin operated arcade/museum near pier 49 in San
Francisco.   My visits to that part of the world almost always contains a
Boudin sourdough bread bowl with clam chowder in it from the Boudin bakery
and then a walk over to the arcade, and then a walk over to the end of pier
49 to see the sea lions.

Closer to the bay Bridge is the explotatorium which is a great science
museum on one of the other piers.  I usually try to arrange my visits for
the adult only evenings but that won't apply for you.

If I'm relying on public transportation (or just want the experience) you
can take a cable car from mission and market up over the hill and down to
basically the Boudin bakery.  Then there are old time trolleys which
service the route along the piers so I've been known to use the trolley to
go from pier 49 to the exploratorium.

Both myself and my wife were disappointed by the Monterey Bay aquarium,  as
in the one in the Salt Lake Valley might be better.   Different critters,
obviously and the Monterey bay aquarium has been around for quite some
time.   I'm sure this is because of how many aquariums and similar we've
visited and that our expectations were higher than reality because of the
reputation.   I'm not saying don't go,  just expect a smaller aquarium.