  From: Ken Hohhof via Af
  To: af@afmug.com
  Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 5:41 PM
  Subject: Re: [AFMUG] i've never found an answer to this....cellular

  What I think the cellcos (especially Sprint) do badly is not explain to the
  people with 3G devices that they need to upgrade them to 4G for the higher
  speed, even if that loses you a grandfathered plan.  I believe the
  transition to 4G/LTE has actually made 3G perform worse.  I'm not sure why,
  maybe they take spectrum away from 3G at the towers and give it to 4G.  But
  people don't understand this, all they see is their speeds are in the
  toilet, so the last thing they are going to do is buy a new device and sign
  a new contract with the company that's responsible for their crappy service.

  At a minimum, they should be informing their customers of this.  Like we
  sometimes have to tell people with a 10 year old computer and a 10 year old
  router that they need to upgrade.  But really, they should have some kind of
  program to market the 4G upgrade to existing 3G customers with come kind of
  discount that encourages people to upgrade and stay customers.

  Instead, I think they lose customers to another cellco (or to a WISP!),
  because the customer thinks the cellco just has crappy service.