From: Adam Moffett via Af
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2014 4:05 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Dear Cambium

You should check out ePMP 2.2 firmware.  The new GUI is much better.  Not the
same as Canopy, but it's a lot more familiar to navigate now.

If you replace PMP100 with anything else it will be a forklift no matter what.
The good thing about ePMP and 450 is they both have 5.7 and 5.4 in the same
unit.  Presumably your PMP100 is 5.7.  Did they even make that in 5.4?  So you
put your new one on a 5.4 channel, start replacing subscribers, then switch it
back to 5.7 so you can have your 6db back.  The ones that might not work with
the missing 6db on 5.4 you identify ahead of time and do them last.

This is theoretical right now, but it's happening here in a month or so.

--- [ "Ken Hohhof" mailto:af...@kwisp.com wrote ]:
-----------------------------------

  You’re probably right about me.  Honestly, my FSK is still all on 10.5, and
my 430 is still on 11.2.  I’d like some of the improvements to the GUI, but
honestly, at some point you wonder if it’s worth the trouble and mini outages
to do the firmware upgrades on legacy stuff.

  I guess from an operations standpoint though, especially if you automate
things, it helps if everything works the same.  And I will probably upgrade the
old stuff, if only to avoid scrolling through a mile long sessions list.

  The argument for continuing to roll human and machine interface improvements
into PMP100 is that’s what keeps WISPs buying Cambium, they can train their
people and write their software and have it work the same across the product
line.  But evidently that logic was lost on the team that developed ePMP.

  If the sales strategy is to convince WISPs to convert PMP100 to ePMP, it will
be interesting to hear what the recommended way is to do that.  I am going to
be very surprised to see an ePMP compatible framing mode put into PMP100,
that’s surely not a minor change, but without that, are the only 2 ways to
upgrade a tower from PMP100 to ePMP either find some spare spectrum, or do a
1-day forklift of all the subs?  A PMP100 to PMP450 forklift can be pretty easy
(except on the pocketbook) if you already have reflector dishes, we’ve found
you don’t even have to realign the dishes.  But replacing a reflector dish with
a Force100 will probably take a little longer.  Maybe not that much.  The worst
would be if you can’t have both sets of APs on the tower at the same time and
literally have to take down every sub on the tower until you get an installer
with a new radio out to them.