Exactly.  If the employer is not providing the attire, then they lose a
lot of room to complain about what the employee wears as long as it is
not offensive, grossly inappropriate, or a safety hazard.

Remember...being an installer isn't always the easiest thing on
clothing.  Crawlspaces, kneeling outside, kneeling on roofs, attics,
etc... all take their toll on attire.  Maybe that sweatshirt is the only
one he doesn't care too much about if it gets ripped, torn, or soiled.