I keep reading there are patches for the patches.

From: Shayne Lebrun via Af
Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2014 7:17 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Bash specially-crafted environment variables codeinjection
attack

On Debian, doing an ‘aptitude update;aptitude upgrade’ will almost never do
anything ‘wrong,’ and if it thinks it’s going to, it will generally warn you
about it right then and there, and often give you a few choices on what to do
about it.

On a RHEL/CentOS distribution, ‘yum update’ will sometimes do incredibly stupid
things.  I once had a ‘yum update’ make the stock Cacti server decide to look
for the rrds in a different spot.  I’ve had it overwrite, without asking or
notifying, config files, init.d startup scripts, etc etc.  Once, I had it
upgrade to a kernel with a known filesystem corruption bug.  Just a day ago,
doing it for the shellshock fix, it screwed up an snmptt handler by changing
snmptrapd’s behavior for passing OIDs from numeric to non-numeric, so suddenly
all of my traps were ‘unknown’ by snmptt.

Takeaway: Do the ‘yum upgrade’ but anything odd that happens over the next few
weeks, that’s why.