Following up on the previous email about product ideas, I have an idea for
a product which at least I think would be really cool, but I also think
would likely be a big flop, just because of the apparent cost sensitivity
of installs.

It seems to me that it would be nice to replace the power injector at
customer sites with more of an intelligent device.   One that provides
functionality like traffic metering, cable diagnostics, customer-location
speed tests, and so on.   The unit would have jacks for the radio, the
customer equipment, and power.   It would also have a display which shows
real-time usage data for the customer to be able to determine for
themselves what their current internet consumption is.   There are a lot of
natural outgrowths from this such as watchdog reset of the radio itself,
automatic problem notification to the WISP, etc.   My goal would be to
instrument this as much as possible.

If you think of this as a 'smart power meter' for internet, with diagnostic
tools built in, then you've got the basic idea.  This is not intended to
replace the customer router/nat device, and will only be a Layer 2 device
as far as traffic goes.  There will likely be some limited traffic shaping
possible based on the underlying ethernet swtich chipset.

Unfortunately, these can't be a $20 device.   $75 might be doable for
higher volumes, but $100 is more in the comfort zone for the volumes I
typically move.  Of course, this is a CPE device and I'm not even sure how
many I'd sell so these prices are guesses at best - but more likely to go
down instead of up.

Although I suspect most people would love to have one of these at each
install, I have a hard time believing that most people would swallow adding
even $75 to the cost of each install, let alone the $100 which might be the
price I'd have to hit for lower volume.   Is this a fair assumption?  Would
you add such a device to each install?