I think the link efficiency is relative to the current mod mode.

So you can have a high efficiency, even if you're only getting QPSK modulation.

Conversely, if you're getting poor efficiency but modulation at 256QAM, it can "look" worse.

In my opinion, the efficiency should be relative to the highest mod mode, regardless of which mod mode you are running in.

So an 8X/1X at 100% efficiency doesn't look better than 50% efficiency at 8X/8X.

That would make 100% efficiency at 8X/1X look like at least relative to the total theoretical throughput instead of looking stellar at a piss-poor modulation mode.

bp