Plastic. I don't see that there's a big enough advantage to metal to justify 
that much of a price difference, especially if an RJ45 won't fit through.

________________________________
From: Af [[email protected]] on behalf of Kade Sullivan via Af [[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2014 4:10 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Microwave Backhaul Ethernet Grommets - Feedback Wanted

If it means the difference between being able to pass an RJ45 connector through 
it or not, I would say plastic all the way.

If I had to chose between 2 radio vendors with similar price/performance, that 
feature would tip me one way or the other.  I absolutely despise grommets that 
wont pass the connector.




On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Charles Wu via Af 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
Trying to figure out some Ethernet grommets and since you guys would be the 
ones directly using/installing these, thought I’d ask for input rather than 
just trying to guess what’s best for everyone – trying to decide metal vs. 
plastic

Metal

-          Cannot put Ethernet cable through (need to crimp connector AFTER 
cable has gone through)

-          Expensive ($30+ / grommet) – when we’re trying to be competitive 
against Trango/SAF/etc with an all-outdoor microwave backhaul, every dollar 
counts (especially if we’re talking up to 4 connectors)

-          Feels more *rugged*


Plastic:

-          Can put Ethernet cable through with the end on

-          Cheap ($0.50/grommet) – can throw a bunch of these in with every 
radio without increasing the price, and could send them out to customers 
without charging them if a customer needed things

-          Doesn’t *look/feel* as industrial / rugged as the metal grommet

All suggestions / comments / thoughts are welcome

Plastic


[cid:[email protected]]

Metal

[cid:[email protected]]

Reply via email to