It's pretty quick to make a VirtualBox VM (xubuntu or whatever) with
security-lowered Java, just for the purpose of running AirView and other
silly things. Definitely a bad idea to lower Java security system-wide on
your main workstation. I have a stripped down VM with a 4GB virtual disk
here that consists of basically nothing more than an basic Debian install,
XFCE4 desktop, Firefox, Chrome, and the latest sun JRE.