I have a 3'x3' piece of thick cardboard spray painted orange for this
purpose.

If you want to set up a temporary radio on battery power, one easy way to
do it is with the Tycon DC-DC PoE injectors and a 12V 8Ah AGM battery.
Battery should be <$20 on eBay with shipping. Same model I buy to replace
batteries in trays in 750VA through 1500VA size 2U rackmount UPS.