Hi guys,

I'm planning on rewiring my house this winter and was looking for ideas on structured wiring as well as products to use. I'm looking at simply RG6 coaxial and ethernet (for phone and data).

The wiring will be run in a rather deep crawl space and would like something that can either mount to the floor joists or something where I could build out a mounting platform with 2x4s and install it that way. I'd like the wiring to be vertical so I can kneel and access things and not have to crank my head and look up.

My original thought was to get a wall-mount "vertical" rack and mount it horizontal - this would effectively give me a 19" 6u rack to work with that would hang from the floor joists. I was then going to just get a couple of keystone patch panels and populate them with the various connectors by room. Doesn't need to be fancy. It would still leave me some room for a battery backup, rackmount switch and router/modem.

After looking around a bit I also see that Leviton offers some structured solutions. These would have to be mounted between some 2x4s or something so that I could have normal access to it. Wondering if any of you have any experience with these or similar products and if they would be a better solution than my rack idea?

Unfortunately, I do not have any room or areas upstairs for the wiring, so the crawlspace is where it's going to go.

I'm not looking to spend a small fortune on this project - just want something to centralize, label and clean up my existing house wiring as well as give me some flexibility in the future.

--
Rory McCann
MKAP Technology Solutions