Rory McCann
MKAP Technology Solutions
Web: www.mkap.net

On 11/3/2014 10:13 AM, Ken Hohhof via Af wrote:
Most people don't want a wired network anymore, even if their house is wired, plus if you wanted to be forward looking you would run fiber and maybe put 802.11ad in each room once it becomes mainstream. Except of course you can't do POE over fiber. People with houses wired for data typically have money, so I recommend a wired router like an RB2011iL-IN in the basement and then wireless APs in rooms as needed using the wiring in the walls. That avoids the hairpin wiring issue. Or you could put a small wired router like a 750/950 series in the basement plus a POE switch, that way the APs could be powered off POE, and they could install other POE stuff like security cameras, VoIP phones, etc. You could also put a central UPS in the basement, powering the CPE radio and the router/switch, plus anything throughout the house powered via POE would stay live in a power outage. Of course people with money building a new house probably have a Generac on a pad outside anyway. Still, it could be a nice package to sell people and make a little extra money.
*From:* Jeremy via Af <mailto:af@afmug.com>
*Sent:* Monday, November 03, 2014 9:52 AM
*To:* af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] Structured Cabling - Looking for Ideas
The Leviton boxes are nice. Most newer homes use those. The problems that I have seen with those boxes are these: If you want to install a router and have some wired machines and some wireless you will need the router to be located inside the metal box. This doesn't work very good for wireless at all. Also, they rarely install power in the Leviton boxes so no ability for POE or router to be there anyway. We usually end up tying in to the wire to the eve, then splicing again to one of the rooms, then placing the router in that room. This leaves you with no options for a wired network as all four pair are used to get the POE to that room. If they have two CAT-5E cables ran to the room they can use one back to the Leviton box and then install a switch in the box (assuming again that you have an AC outlet in the box. If the house is wired correctly the Leviton boxes are nice but they are rarely setup correctly for fixed wireless. On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 8:45 AM, Rory McCann via Af <af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>> wrote:

    Hi guys,

    I'm planning on rewiring my house this winter and was looking for
    ideas on structured wiring as well as products to use. I'm looking
    at simply RG6 coaxial and ethernet (for phone and data).

    The wiring will be run in a rather deep crawl space and would like
    something that can either mount to the floor joists or something
    where I could build out a mounting platform with 2x4s and install
    it that way. I'd like the wiring to be vertical so I can kneel and
    access things and not have to crank my head and look up.

    My original thought was to get a wall-mount "vertical" rack and
    mount it horizontal - this would effectively give me a 19" 6u rack
    to work with that would hang from the floor joists. I was then
    going to just get a couple of keystone patch panels and populate
    them with the various connectors by room. Doesn't need to be
    fancy. It would still leave me some room for a battery backup,
    rackmount switch and router/modem.

    After looking around a bit I also see that Leviton offers some
    structured solutions. These would have to be mounted between some
    2x4s or something so that I could have normal access to it.
    Wondering if any of you have any experience with these or similar
    products and if they would be a better solution than my rack idea?

    Unfortunately, I do not have any room or areas upstairs for the
    wiring, so the crawlspace is where it's going to go.

    I'm not looking to spend a small fortune on this project - just
    want something to centralize, label and clean up my existing house
    wiring as well as give me some flexibility in the future.

-- Rory McCann
    MKAP Technology Solutions
    Web: www.mkap.net <http://www.mkap.net>