Most of my network is humming along on 5.26.

http://www.ics-il.com

----- Original Message -----

From: "George Skorup (Cyber Broadcasting) via Af" <af@afmug.com>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2014 7:05:29 PM
Subject: [AFMUG] [OT] Weird MT situation

I've got a RB1100AH running 5.26. Something has been happening every day
for about the past week and it gets all screwy. I've confirmed there are
no site temperature or power issues. Here's what happens in the screwy
state. I can ping it and it responds fine. I can log into Winbox or the
CLI and try to ping anything, even local same-subnet stuff and I get a
bunch of packet loss. SNMP responses are hit or miss as well. I did a
packet capture and it shows the ICMP packets all out of order. Reboot it
and everything works fine again, until next time. The only thing I
haven't tried yet is pinging 127.0.0.1 and see if the same packet loss
happens.

I see a bunch of SSH brute force attempts, but I'm using the brute force
protection firewall scripts to add sequential attempts to an address
list to stop them. And that works fine. But I'm wondering, since 5.26 is
the "ssh - fixed denial of service;" version, did this "fix" break
something else. I don't see this on any other routers running 5.25,
RB1100's and 493's. This is a remote router so I do not want to try
downgrading to 5.25 or upgrading to v6 without someone there. And if I'm
going to send someone there, probably better off replacing it, but then
I'll never know WTF is causing this.