No DNS. I suspected it was SSH causing it. I would see an error in the log after several brute force attempts, something like expected 50 got 5. The only thing I can find on that is something to do with keys. I do have keys installed for SCP'ing backup files. Anyway, it would take a couple hours after that error showed up for things to get really bad. If I let it go for 10-12 hours, it would eventually say all locally generated ICMP was 80% packet loss.

This is one of the few routers I have with 5.26. It was deployed shortly after it was available last year and v6 wasn't all that stable yet. I have since set the SSH service to allow only my NOC management subnet and it has been running fine for days now. So whatever/whoever was attacking the SSH server is now completely blocked. I have no doubt whatever malformed request they were sending was causing it. I really think the SSH "fix" in 5.26 has a memory leak. Like I said, I could ping it remotely just fine with no loss or out of order packets so I don't think it got as far as the kernel, like it was only local user-space processes. Again, memory leak. Good job, MikroTik! I'm guessing they have no more interest in v5 either.