They'll work just fine without a sitemonitor.

Early syncinjectors ran standalone.   They each had non-microcontroller
based timing hardware in them, and adding sitemonitor control added a fair
bit of cost.   For a brief period, we actually had a version with this
added on functionality, which we sold as a 'sitemonitor controlled
syncinjector'.

When we switched the design to the latest iteration (RevH), it was actually
cheaper to use a microcontroller to control all of the timing.  At which
point, having them be able to be controlled and monitored by a sitemonitor
was effectively free, so they got that capability by default, and the
separate sitemonitor controlled syncinjectors ceased to exist.

And as an aside, this 'work in standalone mode' is not confined to the
syncinjectors.  The vast majority of the sitemonitor products will actually
work without a base unit attached.  There's a couple which need a separate
power supply, and a couple that don't make sense to use in standalone, but
the rest are perfectly happy to do what they're supposed to without the
base unit.

-forrest