The electronic way is a constant current source shunted to ground or
through a resistor bank.

One hefty npn power transistor and a few smallish components.  Or a jfet
with source tied to gate, with a current adjustment resistor in the source
lead.  Or any of a hundred circuits.

For more wattage you can parallel several, each adjusted to take their
fraction of the total amps.

I seem to be slowly turning into a power electronics engineer over here.