Inspect guy wires, inspect weep holes on applicable towers and make sure
they are clear of debris, use binoculars and plan a climb path before
ascent, noting linear appurtenances, check towers for rust, cracks, or
freeze damage.  Make sure that the guy wire eyes are visible and free from
growth and debris for proper inspection.  Keep them dug out with a shovel.
If issues are found do not climb, contact the tower owner and make them
repair the issues.  Make sure that the rescuer (ground crew) has his
harness on, or at least has it right next to him (with rescue rope as
well).  In an emergency situation there is no time to dig it all out.  Note
any dangerous conditions, ie. aggressive birds, snakes, spiders, bears,
eagles (they will knock you off the tower and EAT you like a goat!!).
Depending on co-located services make sure that you are contacting
applicable parties and having equipment turned down before climbing.  I
learned this the hard way.  100-300K watt FM towers will cause extreme
headaches and I actually got RF burns on my hands through my gloves and my
eyeballs hurt for days!  That was when I learned that I was supposed to
have them turned down (after 5 years of climbing them...thanks for the
proper training D_GIS).