I honestly thought Docker /was/ a container VM. Maybe I have a misconception?

So just like a VM conatiner like VMWare running on the host pc, but instead of running Operating Systems inside you run APPs that have been "APP-ified."

-Ty

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 1:01 PM, Adam Moffett <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

    No....a container has to run on a host.  The host and the
    container have to run the same OS.
    The benefits come from the container being able to share the
    resources of the host instead of virtualizing the hardware in it's
    entirety.

    I'm not actually sure how big the benefits are.


    I'm dumb I suppose. I'm not following. What Bill said makes the
    most sense. Like Wine for Windows apps on Linux, this thing
    bundles up the app and all of it's dependancies and resources
    into a portable container. You can then run that on any
    compatible OS? Is there a server that has to "serve" them?

    -Ty

    On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 12:33 PM, Josh Baird <[email protected]
    <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

        No, it's a container that can be ran within existing
        operating systems.

        On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 1:19 PM, Ty Featherling
        <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

            Whut?? Is this a universal app server?

            -Ty

            On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 12:17 PM, Bill Prince
            <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:


                Just had breakfast with a couple of old work
                buddies.  This is the new thing.  You don't need VMs
                anymore....

                    https://www.docker.com/


--
                bp
                <part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com>







Reply via email to