So like OpenVZ? 



----- 
Mike Hammett 
Intelligent Computing Solutions 
http://www.ics-il.com 

----- Original Message -----

From: "Adam Moffett" <[email protected]> 
To: [email protected] 
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 1:01:23 PM 
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] OT: VMs are sooo 2014... 


No....a container has to run on a host. The host and the container have to run 
the same OS. 
The benefits come from the container being able to share the resources of the 
host instead of virtualizing the hardware in it's entirety. 

I'm not actually sure how big the benefits are. 






I'm dumb I suppose. I'm not following. What Bill said makes the most sense. 
Like Wine for Windows apps on Linux, this thing bundles up the app and all of 
it's dependancies and resources into a portable container. You can then run 
that on any compatible OS? Is there a server that has to "serve" them? 


-Ty 


On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 12:33 PM, Josh Baird < [email protected] > wrote: 

<blockquote>

No, it's a container that can be ran within existing operating systems. 


On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 1:19 PM, Ty Featherling < [email protected] > 
wrote: 

<blockquote>

Whut?? Is this a universal app server? 


-Ty 




On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 12:17 PM, Bill Prince < [email protected] > wrote: 



<blockquote>


Just had breakfast with a couple of old work buddies. This is the new thing. 
You don't need VMs anymore.... 

<blockquote>
https://www.docker.com/ 



-- 

bp
<part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com> 
</blockquote>


</blockquote>


</blockquote>


</blockquote>


Reply via email to