I keep seeing articles about the proposed new "mega rocket" from SpaceX, how it would have a higher payload capacity than any current launch vehicle and could be used for manned missions to Mars.

I thought wow, let me look up how much bigger it will be than the Saturn V. Turns out, it will have less than half the payload capacity of a Saturn V. Granted it will be far more economical and may be reusable, so it's not really a fair comparison.

But still, some of that Cold War era technology was pretty impressive. We can't afford it anymore though.