Not a fair test, he was talking to his wife, so he already knows to wait until 
she’s done talking!

With 700 ms delay, maybe resort to terms like “roger” and “wilco”:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_procedure


From: Mike Hammett 
Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2015 7:18 AM
To: [email protected] 
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Trango Altum AC PTP test results

I wouldn't have thought it would, but it kinda supports my point that if you 
can control the other metrics, latency can go much higher on VoIP calls.




-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com





--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: "Jeremy" <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2015 9:51:28 PM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Trango Altum AC PTP test results


I talked to the Exede guys at AF.  After running a speedtest with 650+ms of 
latency they told me that their VoIP works perfectly.  I called BS and they had 
it hooked up and said feel free.  I called my wife and had about a five minute 
conversation.  I have noticed worse lag on the AT&T VoIP service locally (like 
where you are constantly talking over the top of each other).  It had two very 
small, almost unnoticeable, points where it 'chopped out' a bit.  I was 
completely blown away.  Apparently VoIP can work fine with 700ms latency.  I 
never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself.

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 10:56 AM, Bill Prince <[email protected]> wrote:

  Well if there is a mention of latency (and whether there is or isn't) will 
speak volumes about the influence (or lack thereof) of the satellite broadband 
industry.  And if there is a specification for latency (and I've never 
understood why there isn't), then it should surely be < 500 ms, and more 
reasonably < 100 ms, or possibly < 200 ms.  I think the tolerance breakpoint 
for any VoIP-type service is in the area of 200-250 ms.


  Exede claims to support some type of VoIP service these days.  Has anyone had 
the opportunity to see how this actually works (or doesn't)?



bp
<part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com>

On 2/14/2015 9:34 AM, Ken Hohhof wrote:

    I guess we really don’t know what latency, usage limit or price is 
acceptable because the FCC hasn’t told us yet.  The Report & Order resulting 
from Proceeding 14-126 didn’t set benchmarks for them.  Maybe Mike says 100 ms 
because that’s the limit for CAF II funding.  Round trip to the Internet 
exchange point.


    From: Mike Hammett 
    Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2015 11:11 AM
    To: [email protected] 
    Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Trango Altum AC PTP test results

    100 ms end to end. That user device to the far server. If you're like Josh 
in Alaska, there's 30 - 40 ms before you even get anywhere in the cables down 
to Seattle. The Internet seems to work okay for him.




    -----
    Mike Hammett
    Intelligent Computing Solutions
    http://www.ics-il.com



----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    From: "Ken Hohhof" mailto:[email protected]
    To: [email protected]
    Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2015 10:12:19 AM
    Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Trango Altum AC PTP test results


    I think Kurt’s point, which I agree with, is this is a PTP product, and 
backhaul latencies get multiplied by the number of hops, while you only have 
one “last mile”.

    You can perhaps use licensed or other FDD radios for the first few hops and 
go cheap with the last few hops at the farthest reaches of your network, 
especially if there is a plan to upgrade these in the future.  That doesn’t 
work so good though if you have a backhaul ring.

    I agree with Rory that 10 ms isn’t a bid deal.  I don’t agree with Mike 
that 100 ms doesn’t really matter.  The problem is that a whole bunch of 10 ms 
links adds up to 100 ms.

    Also I worry that some CDN’s use fancy new TCP stacks that back off based 
on latency rather than packet loss as an indicator of congestion.  I think they 
are wrong to assume that everyone uses infinite buffers for queuing rather than 
packet drop, but they don’t ask my opinion.


    From: John Woodfield 
    Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2015 10:01 AM
    To: [email protected] 
    Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Trango Altum AC PTP test results

    Not to mention the UBNT gear under load has at least that much latency...







    John Woodfield Delmarva WiFi http://www.delmarvawifi.com cell (410) 708-1937



    -----Original Message-----
    From: "Rory Conaway" mailto:[email protected]
    Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2015 10:10am
    To: mailto:[email protected] mailto:[email protected]
    Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Trango Altum AC PTP test results



    ADSL latencies used to be over 40ms or more.  Cable latencies are about 
10ms from my router to the first hop so 10ms isn’t that big a deal.   I agree 
with you Mike.



    Rory



    From: Af [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Mike Hammett
    Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2015 7:45 AM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Trango Altum AC PTP test results



    A lot of WISPs get hardons over low latencies, but as long as end-to-end is 
under 100 ms or so, it doesn't really matter.



    -----
    Mike Hammett
    Intelligent Computing Solutions
    http://www.ics-il.com




----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    From: "Ken Hohhof" <[email protected]>
    To: [email protected]
    Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2015 8:39:27 AM
    Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Trango Altum AC PTP test results

    I wonder if WISPs are going to be part of a trend toward higher latencies.



    It used to be customers mainly did web browsing and really noticed whether 
the websites snapped up immediately or lagged.  Now everyone is streaming, 
streaming, streaming.  And websites are more worried about tracking cookies and 
on-the-fly ad auctions for your eyeballs than responsiveness.  Plus people use 
mobile devices and are accustomed to the higher last mile latency of 3G and LTE.



    Still it’s a little disappointing to backslide on latency because customers 
don’t value quick response like they used to.  They just want mass quantities 
of data to watch video, as cheap as possible.



    I guess gamers still care about ping times.





    From: Erich Kaiser 

    Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2015 7:44 AM

    To: [email protected] 

    Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Trango Altum AC PTP test results



    I would assume AF5x is going to be the same issue if you are using GPS? 



    Erich Kaiser 

    North Central Tower Consulting

    [email protected]

    Office: 630-621-4804

    Cell: 630-777-9291



    On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 10:23 PM, Kurt Fankhauser <[email protected]> 
wrote:

    I can't afford 8-12ms of latency 7 hops out... Time for some Full Duplex 
links I suppose....





    Kurt Fankhauser

    Wavelinc Communications

    P.O. Box 126

    Bucyrus, OH 44820

    http://www.wavelinc.com

    tel. 419-562-6405

    fax. 419-617-0110



    On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 10:43 PM, Erich Kaiser 
<[email protected]> wrote:

    The Mimosa seems awesome so far (Except for lack of SNMP support, which is 
coming in April).  If you have GPS sync it seems to run between 8ms-12ms. 



    Erich Kaiser 

    North Central Tower Consulting

    [email protected]

    Office: 630-621-4804

    Cell: 630-777-9291



    On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 9:29 PM, Kurt Fankhauser <[email protected]> wrote:

    I was hoping to replace a Ligowave link I have that's running on 40mhz. I 
don't feel like burning up a whole 80mhz of spectrum through, so I think I'll 
be buying a PTP-650 especially since I need DFS freq's.





    Kurt Fankhauser

    Wavelinc Communications

    P.O. Box 126

    Bucyrus, OH 44820

    http://www.wavelinc.com

    tel. 419-562-6405

    fax. 419-617-0110



    On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 10:19 PM, Jeremy <[email protected]> wrote:

    I see that they sell them on the 'Trango store' now too.  Pretty sweet.  



    On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 8:17 PM, Jeremy <[email protected]> wrote:

    Yeah, that is what I was told at Animal Farm also.  It seems like doing 
something specific or something in the wrong order makes them not work.  Next 
time I guess I'll have to follow directions, LOL.



    On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 8:11 PM, Kurt Fankhauser <[email protected]> wrote:

    Jeremy,



    I ended up having to default the units and then follow the quick start 
guide to the T. There must be some bugs to work out in the firmware cause when 
I ordered them the guy told me to follow the quick start to the T.





    Kurt Fankhauser

    Wavelinc Communications

    P.O. Box 126

    Bucyrus, OH 44820

    http://www.wavelinc.com

    tel. 419-562-6405

    fax. 419-617-0110



    On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 9:59 PM, Jeremy <[email protected]> wrote:

    I also didn't follow the guide the first time.  On subsequent attempts I 
did, but it seemed like something was wrong with them at that point.  Anyway, 
it's nice to see someone having some success.  The platform looks like it has a 
lot of potential.



    On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 7:50 PM, Kurt Fankhauser <[email protected]> wrote:

      Jeremy,



      Yes I had issues but I didn't call support. It took me almost 2 hours to 
get the two radios to see each other but I finally got them too. I wasn't 
following the PTP quick start guide like I was told to. When I initially 
configured the radios I disabled the 2nd port (called WAN) in the manual. For 
some reason they would not link until I turned it back on. Even though I wasn't 
using the WAN port.





      Kurt Fankhauser

      Wavelinc Communications

      P.O. Box 126

      Bucyrus, OH 44820

      http://www.wavelinc.com

      tel. 419-562-6405

      fax. 419-617-0110



      On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 9:45 PM, Jeremy <[email protected]> wrote:

        I had some issues with the configuration and couldn't ever get them to 
pass traffic.  Did you run into any issues that required support? 



        On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 7:38 PM, Rory Conaway <[email protected]> 
wrote:

          I saw that too when I was reviewing the brochure this morning. I was 
just assuming they were considering this a long range product.  Kurt, do you 
mind telling me what those radios cost?



          Rory



          From: Af [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Kurt Fankhauser
          Sent: Friday, February 13, 2015 7:36 PM
          To: [email protected]
          Subject: [AFMUG] Trango Altum AC PTP test results



          Just got done testing a Trango Altum AC PTP link on the bench. Units 
are 25db integrated panels. Did a 40mhz channel test and 80mhz via UDP. I tried 
a TCP test between two RB2011's and best I seen was 175-180'ish and that was 
with both 40 and 80mhz channels. CPU seemed to be maxing out on the 2011's. 



          Has UNI-1 bands and ISM bands. I was hoping it had the middle DFS 
bands but it doesn't :(




          Kurt Fankhauser

          Wavelinc Communications

          P.O. Box 126

          Bucyrus, OH 44820

          http://www.wavelinc.com

          tel. 419-562-6405

          fax. 419-617-0110



























Reply via email to