Purewave claiming SDR because they can add proprietary extensions seems
like Ubiquiti claiming to be SDR because they licensed Atheros driver code
so they could make AirMax.

I always thought SDR meant the signal processing, anything to do with
making sense of the RF, happened in software (FPGA counts!). Ettus
Research's USRP is a example on TX/RX. RTL-SDR USB sticks on the RX only.
E.g. If, in theory, the manufacturer can reprogram it to be a FM radio
(maybe you replace the transciever/amps first though).