I think WDS just means ADDR4 is present (the missing 4th mac address that
allows for true transparent bridging).  There shouldn't be any performance
difference whether WDS is on or off.  That 4th mac added is an
insignificant addition.  In some cases it might even perform higher
depending if the L2 NAT is hardware accelerated or not.

Repeating with a single, half-duplex radio using any method (with or
without WDS) is going to cut the bandwidth in half because it needs to
spend half the time receiving and half the time sending.

Most of those plug-in off the shelf wireless repeaters for consumers are
doing repeating without WDS and are halving the bandwidth for example.

-Hal

--

Harold Bledsoe