I would tell the landlord that you arent doing anything just yet, and tell
the landlord and the tenant to come to an arrangement. Discuss with the
landlord that had you been aware it is a rental you would have contacted
him, but at this point it is a lease issue on the part of the tenant. in
the mean time find out for certain about OTARD. Plan for the worst
(lawsuit) hope for the best (landlord cools down)