Seems to me like that should work.  I don't know if it would afford you any
protection (Chuck?), but it should power them up.  For what I spent on our
link I decided to just run fiber instead.  The buildout cost was minor
compared to the link, and we ran MTP so we can now do up to 6 links with
very little work.