You could probably do a really short DHCP lease on the initial walled garden IP, I don't know how short DHCP Patriot supports, but I would imagine the shortest would probably still be 60 seconds.

On 5/28/2015 12:58 PM, Chuck McCown wrote:
Be nice to make it so that a DSL modem/router could power up and just start working without any power cycling.
*From:* Charles Boening <mailto:charl...@calore.net>
*Sent:* Thursday, May 28, 2015 11:28 AM
*To:* af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] dhcpatriot

We have had a DHCPatriot system for about 5 years. We love it. It’s essentially a captive portal. When a user first connects, they get a private IP and policy routing forces them to the portal. When the user authenticates, the system uses a local user database or RADIUS to authenticate the them and if successful, ties the MAC address to a username. Now that the user is known, they reboot their device (or release/renew or wait a few minutes) and the system assigns an IP address from the authenticated address pool.

Infoblox looks like it has a few more features (some DNS and IPAM stuff).

If you’re in the market for something like the DHCPatriot system, I recommend getting a demo.

*Charles Boening*

/Network Manager/

800-858-2399 | Office

charl...@calore.net <mailto:charl...@calore.net>

www.cot.net <http://www.cot.net/> | Find us on Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cal-Ore/205066716227707>

*Cal-Ore*  | /Real. Local. Trusted. Professional./