The IX can be a neutral marketplace.

The IX should provide a limited set of layer 2 services.  However, if a member
wants to sell a caching service to others across a private VLAN then that is a
benefit to both parties.   Same with transit, or backup services, or multicast
video feeds.   The exchange provides the VLAN and the members of that VLAN do
whatever they want with it. This is a value add to members, especially in
places where $350 per month cross connects exist.  The IX does not sell the
caching, or transit.

Switch hats from IX manager person to IX Member (aka I buy a port on the
exchange)

Now if I am on an exchange, and I can tell you (another IX member) that I can
sell you a service and it’s 5-10ms than the best competitor not on the exchange
thats a definite selling point.  It also doesn’t touch the public internet,
cuts out a transit provider, and costs .10 a meg.  That is going to be
attractive.

Justin

Justin Wilson j...@mtin.net
http://www.mtin.net  Managed Services – xISP Solutions – Data Centers