From: "Ken Hohhof" <af...@kwisp.com>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2015 6:03:27 PM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] today's consulting fun

Average Joe does not understand local vs. server based folders.

Problems I see fairly often:

* User deletes messages from phone, then shits a brick when the messages are
gone from his computer, because he does not understand server based folders.

* User has 20 folders on the server including Sent, Deleted, Junk, Cat
Pictures, etc. plus some specific to his phone that aren’t even email. Every
email he has ever sent, deleted, or has been filtered as spam is still sitting
on the server, and he can’t understand why he hits his disk quota. Even when he
deletes some, it just moves them to Deleted, which is still on the server.

* User complains spam filtering is not preventing the spam from going to his
phone, because he has his Junk folder synced on his phone.

* Real estate agent has created GMail folders for every house she ever listed,
buys smartphone, sets it to sync all those folders rather than just Inbox (and
full messages not just headers). When it is still syncing after 2 days, she
decides to delete the GMail account off her phone but instead manages to blow
away all her GMail.

* The people who use POP3 on their computer and IMAP on their phone, accessing
the same mail account, and wonder why strange stuff happens or the mailbox gets
corrupted.

I also think mobile devices using IMAP IDLE cause a lot of server issues
because of sessions staying up for days or weeks.