I'm reading the engineering info. Looks like you would almost want to deploy an ER standalone to do this, as there are a lot of things that makes DPI not work.

A few things to note:

 * This feature is integrated with the offload feature, so unlike
   NetFlow (flow accounting), it does not disable offload. Conversely,
   stats are not available for traffic that is not offloaded. More
   specifically, here are examples of the common cases where traffic
   would not show up in traffic analysis:
     o In this context "offload" refers to the IPv4 forwarding, VLAN,
       PPPoE, and GRE offload. If offload is disabled in the
       configuration ("system offload ipv4 ...") then traffic analysis
       would not show traffic of course.
     o Currently if NetFlow ("system flow-accounting ...") or "modify"
       firewall rule ("firewall modify ...") is configured, offload is
       disabled completely in which case no traffic is eligible for
       traffic analysis. (Exception is if "modify" firewall is only
       used for "table" or "lb-group" action then offload is not disabled.)
     o Traffic to which QoS policy is applied is not eligible for
       offload and therefore will not appear in traffic analysis. This
       includes the "traffic-policy" and the new "traffic-control"
       (smart queue) settings in the configuration. In such cases
       traffic that are not affected by QoS (e.g., traffic on other
       interfaces) can still be offloaded and still be displayed in
       traffic analysis.
     o Traffic going through certain interface types are not offloaded,
       for example, bridge, bonding, pseudo-ethernet, VPN interfaces, etc.
     o Traffic that needs to be processed by certain firewall rules are
       not offloaded, for example, packets going through firewall rules
       that involve "limit", "recent", or "time" matching criteria will
       not be offloaded.

You can also cannot perform any policy enforcement using the rules, so I think it is a bit of creative marketing to say compare it directly to fully fledged DPI systems. That being said, the interface looks pretty nice and I can see it being useful for diagnosis and monitoring.