I am pretty ignorant as to the abilities of any Mikrotic device.
Can you enlighten me?

-----Original Message----- From: Matt
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2015 2:01 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] GigE Testing

I am wondering if I got a GigE managed switch, could I see some phy data
speeds by looking at its management interface?

Why not just a Mikrotik CCR?

Demand for our GigE surge suppressor has been growing such that I am now
limited by my test station throughput.

Any ideas on how to test a GigE device go-nogo without buying more big
dollar testers (which I currently use)?

It needs to be fast and show speeds in both directions.

Have considered just putting up a GigE switch and plugging the surge
suppressor into two ports and seeing if they light. But that sounds pretty
cheap and dirty.  Want to see numbers.  A laptop talking to another laptop
with iperf may end up being the solution.  Not sure if there are GigE USB
NICS so I could do it all on one laptop or not.

Any other ideas?