My first action against a regulated utility is to complain to the regulators.
They care more about keeping them happy than they do keeping you happy.
Usually a Public Service Commission, Public Utility Commission or
(state)Corporation Commission.  Every state is different.

From: Darin Steffl
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2015 4:20 PM
To: af@afmug.com ; memb...@wispa.org
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Shoutout to LinkTechs Consulting

Hey TJ,

That's exactly what we did before calling L.T. and NAT'd the block to an IP
from our Telco that wasn't affected so it got everyone online but all Static IP
users who had email servers or other applications that needed to be accessed
from the internet to their Static IP could not do so. Also, some businesses had
VPN connections that wouldn't work because they weren't connecting from their
known IP address. So either way, it got web browsing online but our highest
paying customers couldn't do some things they depended on until their Static IP
was up and running. The fiber I figured would take 5-8 hours for repair but it
took over 39 hours so I needed a more permanent fix.

Our local Telco is a joke and they blatantly lied to us saying it wasn't
possible to advertise the /24 block out anyone but Zayo, who was cut. I knew
that was false and pushed the issue this time with Dennis on the line and got
it done. There has been 5 outages in the last year with over 2.5 days of total
downtime and each time the telco lied and said the block couldn't be advertised
to their working carrier or ours. I'm considering taking legal action against
them for allowing us to suffer from something they could have fixed easily if
they wanted to and as we requested each time Zayo was cut. Frankly, I'm pissed
at them right now.

What would you do in our case with the local Telco for refusing to help us
restore service? They refused to give us an SLA when we signed up even though I
pushed for one. They said they were local and would take care of us when there
are issues. They've barely cared when there is an issue.