I remember back in the 70s, electric water heaters got timers and blankets, many times for free paid for by some govt program.

-----Original Message----- From: Ken Hohhof
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2015 4:45 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] OT: New Energy Savings?

I doubt he is saving much by turning off the water heater for 4 hours.
Could accomplish the same or better by lowering the temperature setting.  Or
getting one of the tankless point-of-use water heaters, those have been
popular for several years now.  Actually the rest of the world has used them
for 50 years, we're just now catching up.  It's like Netflix for hot water.

But to your question, I have not seen an increase in this behavior, but some
people have always turned off their radios when they aren't using their
computer, or when they are gone for a few days, or when a storm is
approaching.  Some can be convinced to leave their radio running although
they turn off their router.

See, if you had that FCC mandated 8 hour battery backup, this would not be a
problem.

-----Original Message----- From: Nate Burke