Yes, we do not install a surge suppressor at our installs.  The Ubiquiti
POE has some surge suppression, when installed correctly.  We drill a 3/8"
hole with grommet on the outside, and cut in a wallplate on the inside,
with a low voltage box.  We use a shielded patch cable to the POE and
unshielded out to the router.  This saves us countless service calls from
routers dying in lightning storms.  It also protects the radio from
near-field ESDs.  We expect to occasionally lose a POE but we haven't yet.
The ONLY issues with dead routers, NICs, and radios that we have ever had
have been the homes where we tied into the unshielded cat5 that was stubbed
out by the contractor, and lost the ground.

On those jobs we are considering adding a surge protector, but we have run
into many issues with how to go about that.  The previous company that I
worked for hit multiple gas lines and sprinkler lines before they gave up
pounding ground rods in.  So we could look at scheduling Blue Stakes before
every install, or require a site survey first, then determine if we need
Blue Stakes, then we are still likely to occasionally hit something.  This
adds a ton of wait time and multiple trips to every potential install.
Then comes the issue of meeting Electrical code.  Any ground that we add
needs to be bonded to the house ground, and only a master electrician who
is certified can legally make that connection.  Then comes the liability
involved with us just doing it anyway.  For now we go with this method, and
it works, looks clean, and saves equipment.