Reminds me of the Boeing shop that had to use electricians to turn on welders.
The welders could not start and top their own machine.

From: Ken Hohhof
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 3:44 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Getting it done

My first job out of college was at the manufacturing arm of GTE.  It was a
union shop, even the secretaries were union.  I was an engineer and non union,
but we got whatever COL increase the union got.

Every couple years the contract would come up for renewal, and the whole
factory would work overtime to stockpile enough product for a 2 week strike.
Then there would be a strike, which was like a vacation for the workers, who
had all that overtime money banked.  Then the union would settle for pretty
much the original offer, and everyone would go back to work.

One year while I was there, there was no strike.  So there had to be a 2 week
layoff while they worked off all that inventory they had stockpiled.  I guess
it worked out the same in the end.

As a new guy, I got my hand slapped a couple times.  Had to learn not to give
typing to a secretary, that went to a clerk-typist.  And one time I took off a
wallplate to check if the outlet was grounded, and nearly had a union grievance.