At one time people were recommending fiber to the desktop, what happened to that?

-----Original Message----- From: Jay Weekley
Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 5:16 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] New Office, Cat5e or 6?

Perhaps a higher threshold before problems from florescent lights, power
lines, etc become an issue.  I've been told that quality Cat5e will
support 10 gig applications though.  Obviously, I've never seen that in
the real world.

Nate Burke wrote:
I'm working on the network side of an office remodel at my Church. The cabling job will be contracted out, so I have no horse in the race other than trying to save money. Is there a benefit in running Cat6 over Cat5e? They're on a 100mb network now, and it's running just fine. Very little file sharing, mainly internet surfing and Word Docs. Probably looking at around 30-50 ports, half are VoIP Phones. Everyone is recommending Cat6, but I'm wondering if it's worth it. Isn't cable and terminations for Cat6 about 30% more than Equivalent Cat5e? I can't see the office needing over gig ethernet for the foreseeable future. Does Cat6 bring any other benefits?

Nate