Nowadays it's easier for a developer or somebody who needs >1Gbps to have a
remote session on a beefy hypervisor in a server room or colo that has
10GbE (or 40GbE) to a TOR switch... The sort of powerful system you don't
want at your desk because it's too loud. For example a quad socket machine
with 512GB of RAM and a bunch of PCI-E SSDs.