This is sort of an illustration of why I am still very wary of Mikrotik for
routers.

There's a myriad of Cisco routers available with 12 to 20 SFP-based GbE
interfacess (used/refurb) that are just as capable, if somewhat bigger and
hotter, that run very stable versions of IOS. It's totally unacceptable for
Cisco to break basic functionality for $HUGE_ISP and
$HUGE_ENTERPRISE_CUSTOMER , which are usually using the same IOS trains I
use for service provider functions.

Mikrotik OS software support is pretty much "hey go over to this forum and
hope somebody answers your question", if something is broken you are just
supposed to wait for a new version release in a month or two. If something
is fundamentally broken in a version of IOS used by a mature (6+ year old)
Cisco platform it's almost certain that somebody much bigger and more
important than yourself has already run into the issue, escalated it with
Cisco, and a new build fixing the bug is available.

If the space and power are available I would much rather have a 6503E with
dual supervisor than a CCR....