I had a conversation with a network professional who was very interested in
the idea of a "metered" plan. His thought was to open up the customer
connections to full speed and run fair queues instead of throttling
bandwidth. Pricing would be based on usage, but with very low rates
compared to cellular or satellite (e.g., 100 GB for $60). The three main
thoughts were:

1) Knowing that speeds would be better in off hours (somehow promoted or
advertised) could get users to operate outside of peak times thus reducing
peak load on the network.

2) Customer prices would more accurately represent their load on a system.

3) Plan sharing would not be a significant concern, as usage would rise and
cost would rise.

Now, I can see those benefits, but I have these specific concerns.:

1) If everything is opened fully today, network performance can only get
worse over time as subscribers are added.

2) Variability in speed over the course of the day may cause customer
concern.

3) Many video streaming services seem to suffer with variable bandwidth
availability.

Any thoughts on this method of providing service? It seems very close to
the cellular plans where speed is almost never mentioned, only data use.

I have some ideas to make such a service work, but I'd like to know others'
thoughts and experiences.

Thanks - Chris