Everything I care about has an IP address in management RFC1918 blocks and
is monitored in OpenNMS - if somebody steals a piece of a POP, we'll know
about it...

$15 cordless engraver is used to etch names on some key equipment.

http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-Instruments-505-Precision/dp/B004YK66NM

Equipment that is in storage for spares or awaiting deployment is tracked
using the same inventory spreadsheet used to track purchasing (eg: an
incoming purchase invoice/bill of sale email is matched with an incoming
UPS or FedEx tracking number, when the item arrives and is unboxed and
placed on a shelf, the status column of its row is updated).