ILECs have their maps defined by the state regulators, so while their actual broadband coverage in their turf may be lacking the fact they have turf boundaries defined by the state, there is no argument. They have a "duty to serve" as a common carrier.

-----Original Message----- From: Josh Reynolds
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2016 9:10 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Who is using towercoverage.com?

What you basically just said is that WISPs can't lie about their
coverage areas despite 50% of the maps of the LECs, cablecos, and
larger WISPs being total bullshit.

Is that correct?

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 9:56 AM, Chuck McCown <ch...@wbmfg.com> wrote:
If you claim 100% coverage of a census block or tract and that prevents a
telco from getting its welfare check, they will do drive testing of the
whole thing.  It has already happened and will happen much more in the
future as the FCC reduces the unsubsidized competitor coverage percentage
that takes away their support.  Just sayin, claiming more turf than you
truly serve or can serve in 7-10 days with 10 down and 1 up (soon to change
to 25 down) can bring grief.  There is no upside to claiming more than you
can do on a 477 turf wise or speed wise but there is a big downside.