Well, when war wasn't on TV it was easier for the populace to ignore how horrific it is. Now we try to pretend that we can fight a war without having the horrible parts. Really, the horrible stuff still happens, but our people do it when they can get away with it, and the other guys don't care.

Rather, I think everyone (both decision makers and the general public) should learn to accept that when you go to war you are inflicting death and horror on people from both sides. You'll have dead and injured people, you'll have dead, injured, starving, and homeless civilians. You'll have people go crazy. You'll lose good will. You'll have destruction. You'll have your blood and wealth tied up in it until it's over. It won't be over until it's over. When it's over, we might have stirred up some new conflict inadvertently. If we aren't willing to live with those consequences then we shouldn't do it. If we ARE willing to do it, then don't fool around; go destroy the enemy as thoroughly as possible.

Remember when we used to declare wars? I don't. I think that went out of style before most of us were born. It's hard to get congress to get behind a war, so we call it an operation or intervention or engagement. Just a little operation overseas, we'll have our people back in 18 months no problem guys I swear.