I just don't see the point of Observium (paid) when you can run totally
free software that is more full featured and actively developed by large
ISPs:

OpenNMS - is used as the primary alerting/NMS system for some very large
tier 1 and 2 ISPs

Cacti - get it set up right with 60 second polling and properly
sized/stepped RRDs, and you can use it to chart things with any arbitrary
non-NMS datasource via shell scripts.

Grafana - pull data from a time series database like OpenTSDB and graph it.

I don't rely on one but rather run cacti and opennms for everything.
OpenNMS handles the alerts and availability monitoring, cacti graphs layer
1 and 2 parameters (optical DOM and RF variables) and layer 3 IP traffic
interfaces.