You will all laugh but I just put in a wink and schlage locks.  Not exactly
a real security system since there is no keypad you can arm or disarm. You
can only do that through the app. One of my people doesn't have a new
enough smartphone for the app. It allows you to use robots which are simple
if then logic.
I know it isn't difficult enough for many of you but it is cheap, easy, and
pretty.
A nice keypad would be a good pi project to round it out though.