There were also many other VR companies before Oculus.  I've been watching
the VR scene for at least two decades, what Oculus has benefited from is
the advancement motion tracking, higher resolution displays, processing,
etc (technologies not specific to VR), Oculus really didn't do anything
groundbreaking here.  The technology has been maturing for a long time, the
masses are just starting to take notice - and large companies are following
that interest.