One possible difference is that your changing the impedance of the ground path.
 Try using the same wire to connect to ground and ground out the surge module…
you may find that the issue is low impedance causing a ground loop to travel
your cable.

In that event the solution is to give the current a lower impedance path that
isn’t through your cable or at least only on the shield of your cable.

I use shielded patch panels before my surge modules and that creates a drain
for the shield that has lower impedance (generally) then other paths.

Ideally you would run a ground cable up your tower for all of your equipment
that is large enough wire to be the best path to ground.

Remember that this isn’t just about shorting grounds to the earth ground but
you also have ground currents and static electricity created by wind etc that
causes stray electricity that can interfere with your systems.

Sincerely,
Joshaven Potter
Google Hangouts: j...@g2wireless.co
Cell & SMS: 1-517-607-9370